How to Fight-Part 1
This topic has been on my heart. And although I do not blog on a consistent basis, it was on my heart heavy enough this morning to begin to write about it. Many of you are going through challenges or persecution and you feel overwhelmed. I pray that this blog encourages you and gives you some tools you need. This is part 1 in this series on “How to Fight.”
How many of you have ever been in a situation at school or in life where you knew you would possibly have a confrontation or a fight with someone bigger or stronger than you? Growing up I was the quiet girl who always had bigger, stronger, friends around me who had my back in school just in case things went wrong. With them as friends, I was without worries when adversity hit. I may have been more prepared, or felt as if I was able to handle myself if I had been in a fight before or better yet knew how to fight! Now here me out because I’m not condoning fighting people in my message but I’m going somewhere.
Speak this to yourself! “I Know How to Fight!” “I’ve already Won!”
Why do We Need to Know HOW to Fight?
1.John 16:33- I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
Unfortunately due to the fall of man, sin has entered the world. And due to sin, we will have challenges in this world. But Christ has Overcome Sin and Death so in Him we Overcome.
2. I Peter 5:8-11-6 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.8 Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 9 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters[a] all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.10 In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. 11 All power to him forever! Amen.
At times when we are in the fight, we think we are the only ones on earth going through this type of persecution. The verse above lets you know that you are NOT alone in this, but to stand firm against the enemy and be strong in your faith! We often frown upon persecution or suffering because it doesn’t “feel” good. Yet take rest in knowing that its not going to last forever, and God promises to restore you and strengthen you through it!
3. Ephesians 6:10– Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. (NIV)
I say never take that armor off! Always be prepared!
Things to Remember About the “Fight”
- As a Christian, know that you will experience persecution. Sometimes, the people it will come from will surprise you the most.
- You will experience challenges and trials; Jesus warned us about them and reminded us that in Him we overcome them. (John 16:33) All believers will experience some level or type of suffering. Its how we handle it that will show what is truly in us. Its how we handle it that will reveal if we are in this world and not of this world.
- Allow these times of suffering to “perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.” Not to discourage you, or upset you. Everything that God has called you too, He’s given you the grace to handle it.
Mere humans cannot hurt you and situations cannot overpower you! Only if you allow it! Remember who is on your side and continue to cast your cares on Him because He cares for you!
Now as I shared earlier, as a young girl I did not know how to fight naturally. I had never had to fight. Well, in my Freshman year of college the fight came to me…literally. A few days before this fight, I had contacted my parents and the security of the school to let them know I felt threatened and that I felt like these girls would try something with me. My parents at the time coached me in the fight. They said, if this girl gets within arm distance of you, and into your personal space, you hit her first!” LOL Ok please know that my parents were NOT saved at the time, and I do not condone violence. They were speaking from a natural, worldly aspect but truly just wanted me to be ok.
The girl who did not like me eventually came to my dorm room to fight me over a guy and some “he said, she said” foolishness. This time I had some confidence, because my parents had coached me earlier on how to win the fight. As soon as this girl got within arm distance of me and started yelling in my face, I did exactly what my parents told me to do. I hit her first, and ended up winning the fight.
Well I want you to look at the Word of God as your Coach! Allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you through your study time, and coach you on how to Win the fight! This gives you the confidence, fortitude and strength to Win the fight! And guess what? The best thing about this fight in the spirit is that its already WON! Jesus won the fight over 2000 years ago! Its just time for you to take the winning title and know that you are an Overcomer!
In my next blog, I’ll share some more fighting strategies to help you walk as an Overcomer into your Victory!
Jennifer Lucy Tyler
Just some quick updates about what’s going on in my world:
- Both of my books are available on my website!!! The proceeds all go towards my husband’s and I missions trip to Thailand to help women who are in Sex Trafficking! Please continue to pray for us and that mission in June!
- My entrepreneur group High Heels High Goals has t= shirts available! Check out our website at www.highheelshighgoals.com
- I’ll be speaking at the Ingage Movement worship experience on 4/12/14 at 5:30pm. The address is 5335 1st Place Northeast
- I will also speak with month at the GLAM Project Conference designed for teen girls ages 13-19. The conference is 4/26/14 and takes place at 9 am-4pm. The address is 4600 Powder Mill Road, Beltsville, MD